You should double check that you are not excluded by reading the list below. You can find further details in the FAQs on our website where indicated.
We do not consider applications from organisations that:
- have applied unsuccessfully within the previous 12 months (based on the date the application was submitted)
- focus on a single medical area, such as an individual disease, organ or condition
- are hospitals, hospices, schools, colleges or universities, unless the application is from a leading university specialist unit. For more information, see our FAQs.
Grants are not made to or for any of the following purposes:
- individuals, including student grants or bursaries
- general and round-robin appeals
- capital developments and individual items of equipment
- promotion of religion or places of worship
- arts organisations and projects whose main focus is supporting and developing individuals, rather than when new work is part of an artistic programme
- learning and participation in the arts, where this is the primary focus of the application
- leisure or individual holiday schemes
- sport, where this is the core of the organisation’s activities
- education, such as initiatives linked to the curriculum, arts or environmental educational projects
- animal welfare, captive breeding and/or animal rescue centres as the main purpose of the work
- medical research or treatment, including drug and alcohol rehabilitation services
- work based in prisons that should receive statutory funding and does not pursue wider systems change
- one-off campaigns
- one-off events, such as conferences, trips, seminars, master classes, summer schools, single commissions, or productions
- onward distribution of our funds as grants to other organisations, unless we have explicitly agreed to join a funder collaboration where this will happen.